Workshop Sheet for Summary/Response Essay for Portfolio 1
Editor's Name and Phone #
Read through the paper completely before answering any of the following questions.
- Identify the writer's main point. How might the writer narrow the focus to improve the essay?
- Does the writer's thesis give the reader any indication of the points to be covered in the response? Would the essay be improved if it did? Suggest a revision.
- Which organizational pattern does this essay follow? Would a different arrangement be easier for a reader to understand? Suggest revisions.
- What kinds of evidence does the writer include to support the arguments in the response? What additional evidence can you suggest? Which part of the essay should the writer first consider when revising the development of the response?
- Mark any places in the draft where you have trouble reading and note whether a transition, clearer wording, or additional detail would help most.
- Suggest revisions to reduce bias created by word choices.
- Where can you suggest specific improvements in the summary?
- What concerns does the writer still have about revising this essay? What can you suggest to help the writer?
- What's the most effective part of this essay?