Portfolio 3: Arguing Essay 1
Overview: To complete the first portion of this portfolio, you will construct a source-based argument for the issue you chose to work with in Portfolio 2. You will define an appropriate audience for your argument and shape your writing to meet the needs and interests of your readers. You will also define a context for writing and modify your argument to meet the demands of this context (For example: an argument written for Harper’s should read like other texts found in this publication).
Purposes for this Essay: To write for a specific, public audience arguing your viewpoints on the issue you explored in Portfolio 2; to convince your audience to agree with your viewpoints or to persuade your audience to act on your viewpoints.
Audience: Address your arguing essay to the first audience outlined in your Context Comparison. In general, your audience is likely to expect you to thoroughly explain the points you are making and to support your argument using appropriate forms of evidence. Your readers are also likely to expect you to acknowledge and cite your sources in a manner consistent with other sources published by your target publication. If your publication does not apply a formal citation method, then you must refer to your sources and their authors by name in the text of your paper. Consider whether the use of visuals and graphics would be useful and appropriate for this publication. The first arguing essay must be accompanied by a Works Cited list, identifying the sources that are actually cited in the paper, even if that page would not appear in the publication; if the publication would not call for a bibliography, simply enclose it loose in the folder rather than attaching it to the essay. The Editorial does not need to be accompanied by a Works Cited page.
Portfolio Content: Please submit your report in a folder clearly labeled with your name. Your portfolio should include:
Essay Requirements: Your first arguing essay should be between 1,250 and 1,750 words in length. Support your argument with at least six sources and relevant personal experience, if appropriate.
Subsequent to the return of your portfolio, you will revise your argument for the second context, the Editorial page of the New York Times.
The first arguing essay, complete with all elements of the folder, is worth 20% of your course grade. The revision, or the second arguing essay for the Editorial page, is worth an additional 15%. Total value of Portfolio 3 is therefore 35% of your final grade in the course.