Portfolio 3: Audience & Context Analysis Report
Overview: This assignment serves as prewriting for your arguing essay by providing an opportunity to analyze the audience and context for your argument. Understanding your audience is important since you need to know who your readers are before you can effectively convince them to consider your argument. Examining your context is equally important because your argument will only be taken seriously or be considered for publication if it meets certain requirements and expectations for its context.
Purposes for this Report: To define your audience and context for your arguing essay.
Audience: You and your instructor.
Length of the Report: Your report should be roughly 650 words long.
Format of the Report: Your report will consist of three parts.
Part I - Purpose
Part II - Context Analysis
· What is the publication’s general purpose?
· Who are its target readers?
· What type of content is most suitable for this publication? What kinds of topics and issues are typically addressed within it?
· What is the appropriate length of a text written for this publication?
· Describe what a typical piece of writing for this publication looks like.
· Describe the tone, style, and register (level of formality in word choice, use of jargon, etc.) used by writers whose work appears in this publication.
· What patterns can you note? (i.e. Do all articles or columns begin the same way? Are most arguments well supported? Are they highly opinionated?)
· Are there specific requirements of which you should be aware, such as guidelines for citing sources?
Part III - Audience Analysis
Report Submission: Post your report on the class discussion forum on your SyllaBase class page (https://writing.colostate.edu/syllabase/).