During the Lecture
Some teachers are better lecturers than others, and after a few classes you'll know more about the lecture style of each teacher. You can accommodate different styles by keeping some simple logistical tips in mind:
- Write on one side of the paper. (Use the back for sketching graphs/charts/pictures/timelines, writing questions, summarizing, making notes to yourself later.)
- Leave lots of blank space in between concepts and whenever you don't understand something or daydream.
- Use consistent abbreviations (try elmntng vwls), symbols (like arrows, underlining, etc.), and sentence fragments.
- Don't worry about creating elaborate outlines--just keep main ideas and examples together.
- Don't worry about spelling or handwriting (as long as you can read it).