Before the Lecture
Even before you go to class to listen to a lecture or participate in a class discussion, you need to prepare to take notes. Pay attention to both the logistical and thinking/reviewing skills required for effective note taking:
- Use a loose-leaf binder, not a spiral-bound notebook. (This way you can organize your handouts and exams with your notes.)
- Date and number each page; keep each class separate in the binder.
- Review your notes from the previous class.
- Keep up with your reading/homework so you're not lost when class starts--it's hard to take notes when you're confused.
- Prepare questions for the teacher based on your reading/homework/previous class notes.