Targeting to Readers
When you consider each kind of Figure, consider whether the Figure you plan to use is the best to communicate to your readers.
Ask the following questions:
- Are readers familiar with the kind of Figure you plan to use?
- Are readers skilled in reading and interpreting the Figure?
- Will your readers understand the abbreviations you're using?
- Do readers have a general knowledge of your topic?
- Will readers interpret the Figure in the same way you do?
Keep in mind that readers' backgrounds, and whether they read and interpret Figures in the same way you do.