Appendix 6: Friedmann - "Heard any Good Jews Lately?"
(as a group, discuss the following)
(think about this individually):
- Who is Friedmann's audience? Who is he writing this article to primarily?
- What is Friedmann's purpose? Does he want to inform? argue for a point-of-view? persuade? Does Lawrence accomplish his purpose?
- What do you agree with or disagree with in regards to Friedmann's article? Why? Are your agree/disagreements well thought out, or are they reactionary?
- Do you think Friedmann presents his article well? Why or why not?
- How do you identify with what Friedmann says? Is there any area of your life in which you can relate?
*Save these worksheets and any notes you take to hand in with your final draft.
- What is it about this article that made you want to write about it for your paper? Why?
- What kind of rhetorical approach do you think you might take? (agree/disagree, interpret/reflect, analyze the effectiveness of the argument) Why?
- What kinds of examples will you provide to support your point of view?
- Do you think a block style or point-by-point approach will be more effective