Class Goals: Have them focus on the use of support in their workshop to show where more development is needed.
Connection to Course Goals: Through evaluating a partnerís essay, they develop skills at being able to evaluate and revise their own writing.
- Have everyone exchange a copy of their essay with a new partner.
- On the OH or board, have the following directions:
- As you read your partnerís essay,
- underline all of the claims
- double underline support for those claims
- This is especially helpful for visual learners. If they get their essays back and there are few double underlines, they know they have not supported much
- Go back and look at what you have underlined. Make a list of :
for each point.
- Add to that list any claim/point you think needs more support and why (eg. I understand that you are using your experience in high school to show why you agree with Chang, but I donít see how the situation is like Changís. Could you add more detail.)
- Before returning essays to each other, discuss what you would suggest for revision.
- WTL: What do you plan to revise for the final draft?
- Ask for any last-minute questions about the final draft and review what goes in the portfolio.
Assignment: ARE due in Portfolio.