Write a 1-2 page (typed, single-spaced) overview that includes the following:
- The specific issue your paper will address
- A discussion of the major categories of positions that are argued on the issue (as determined by your research). You will talk about what people and/or groups of people are saying about the issue, why the issue concerns them, and what sides they take.
- What side you will be on with regard to this issue, and why you have chosen this side.
- Your (tentative) position on the issue. You can state this as a working thesis/claim.
- A brief explanation (about a paragraph) that supports your position, i.e. why do you think your position is right or true? What reasons support your position?
- A list of questions you need to answer in your paper. (In other words, what will people reading your essay expect you to address?)
- Any questions you have for your instructor about the assignment or about how to deal with your topic.