By now, we have begun to discuss a variety of particular issues/questions in class, issues which arise from several broad questions:
To come up with a thesis statement for this essay, you will need to shape and refine a specific idea related this group of questions, based on your own ideas and/or issues/questions we raised in class:
If none of these topics strike you, you are welcome to devise your own issue/question related to learning academic language. Write this up and give it to me for approval as soon as possible.
- How does the public language of school (particularly higher education) intersect with private language?
- How, in certain cases, are these two types of language similar to one another?
- How, in other cases, are they different?
- What challenges do these differences present when they occur?
- In cases where people are presented with no particular challenges, how can we explain this?