Reading: In PHG, 18 ("Free Writing"), 19-20 ("Writing for Myself"), 26-27 ("The Struggle to Be an All-American Girl")
Writing: Write 1-2 informal paragraphs in response to each of the following questions:
- What are some of the ways that language is used in your family? What makes these languages uses in your family different or distinctive?
- What is your most vivid memory associated with reading and writing in school (elementary, secondary, or college)? Was this a situation in which you would say you were a "success"? Why or why not?
- Describe the language of a group of which you are a member (such as age, hobby, sport, religion, etc.). Show how the group's language differs from "regular English" and how it shows the group's identity.
- When have you felt like an "outsider" because of the language you speak?
- When have you felt particularly accepted (or like an "insider") because of the language you speak?