Your work on this assignment will consist of collecting evidence of language practices (e.g., texts, interviews, articles about language practices in a given discipline), analyzing that evidence, and presenting a group report to your class. As a group, you will be expected to create a brief handout summarizing your findings.
Each group will be responsible for creating a portfolio containing the following materials:
- A handout (one to two pages) summarizing your findings about the language practices of a particular discipline or profession. These findings should include a description of the language practices of the profession or discipline and an analysis of those practices.
- Your group contract, which provides a clear delineation of responsibilities for the project and which lists agreements about how the group will function (for example, what happens when a person misses a meeting)
- Transcripts, notes, tapes, from interviews with members of the profession or discipline
- Sample texts collected for analysis
- Copies of any articles collected about the discipline or profession
- Individual analyses of texts, interviews, and articles
- Any other materials used during the oral presentation