What you’ll do today in class:
- Essay 2 Workshop
Connection to course goals: These activities emphasize the recursive nature of the writing process and the importance of revision in producing a text that meets the context and accomplishes the writer's goals.
1. Workshop Essay 2 drafts (45 minutes):
- You can find a workshop sheet in the appendix or make your own, but definitely make sure that you have a sheet with specific questions to guide them. Open response at this point in the semester is usually not productive.
- For this workshop, try to have students work in groups of three, so they get more than one set of feedback.
2. Have students read the feedback they received on their draft and begin writing a revision plan (5 minutes)
CONCLUSION: Remind students that as they revise their Essay 2 draft for Wednesday they should keep in mind that revision is about “re-seeing” their ideas and making larger changes in terms of purpose, focus, development and organization. Let them know that at the beginning of class Wednesday they’ll write Postscript responses, which give them an opportunity to think back over their writing process and discuss what revisions they made and why.
Assignment for Day 17:
- Revise your Essay 2 draft and be ready to hand in your final draft with all process work.