Day 12 - Thursday, September 28
- Collect Essay 2
- Discuss the cultural function of TV
- Introduce Essay 3
- Discuss Context/Purpose/Audience
- Introduce and being to discuss "Dominant Cultural Myths"
Day 13 - Tuesday, October 3rd
- Discuss Katz, Kilbourne, Lewis
- What are the dominant myths they're discussing?
- What kinds of questions are they asking about TV and culture?
- Ways of thinking about culture and TV
- Discuss Dominant myths about gender.
- What are the dominant myths?
- Off the top of your head, what should a male be, what should a female be?
- Analyze the visual essays - Groups, 2 on function for culture, 2 on function for individual
- Start with obvious myths.
- Push beyond in terms of what other myths the images deal with and whether they are actually challenging or reinforcing
- Not interested in obvious messages.
Day 14 - Thursday, October 5th
- Daytime Talk chapter - what to look for in watching a daytime talk show
- Practice in class with clip from talk show
- Groups on the different aspects of the show
- What claims could be made based on your observations?
Day 15 - Tuesday, October 10th
- Discuss Bennett and Gaines - Daytime Talk shows
- Show how you can "read" a single show in different ways.
- Ways of thinking about TV and culture and Viewer
- Perhaps the diagram in today's class?
- Focus/ context/ writing activity - the SO WHAT
- Think about audience
Day 16 - Thursday, October 12th
- Expand to cover other media outlets and types of shows
- King, Rapping, Miller
- Context/ Focus/ Writing Activity
Day 17 - Tuesday, October 17th
- Last Reading
- Introduce development for Essay 3
- Work with their chosen TV shows
- What does your audience already know?
- What do you think they need to know?
- Who is your audience? And why?
- Not interested in obvious messages
- Prepare for conferences - outline and audience/purpose description?
Day 18 - Thursday, October 19th
Day 19 - Tuesday, October 24th
- Work on development and organization for their essays
- Outlines of the past CMA's
- Using specifics from the show
Day 20 - Thursday, October 26th