Sample Group Activity
- Assign group presentations (10 minutes)
- Announce: "The purpose of these presentations is to generate further debatable issues from the articles we've read so that you have more options for Essay 2. Each group will be completely responsible for their assigned article. You may address the tasks collaboratively or split them up among group members. Everyone will be required to take part in presenting information next class. Each presentation should last 7-10 minutes."
- Note: Remember to give the groups 5 minutes or so at the end of class to get organized. Also, let them know that they'll have 5-10 minutes at the beginning of next class to put together their presentation on an overhead.
- Put instructions on an overhead and explain (5 minutes): Each group should prepare the following for your presentation:
- Write a brief summary or list of the article's main points.
- Write a list of 5-7 issues that your article addresses or refers to that could serve as a focus for Essay 2.
- Write a brief reaction to the issues you found most important or interesting. Think of yourselves as trying to persuade people to research and write on these issues. Perhaps think about why the author thinks this issue is important or interesting.
- Have groups meet to prepare for their presentations (15-20 minutes): Remind students of what each group should accomplish (summary, list of issues, reaction) and circulate around the classroom to respond to any final questions. Give each group an overhead and pen to write their responses so they can present them to the whole class.