Appendix 15: A Self-evaluation for Teachers
If you are not sure whether your classroom is conducive to successful learning, ask yourself the following questions:
- Do I create a climate that welcomes each new learner?
- Would I feel welcome here if I were new to the class?
- Is the classroom safe?
- Are students encouraged or discouraged from making fun of each other or criticizing each others' choice of questions, their writing, or their manner of speaking?
- What is my comfort level with the ethnic, racial, and gender groups in my class?
- If I am uncomfortable with some groups of students, do I tend to overlook negative interactions among students?
- Do I avoid using analogies, metaphors, or jokes that might be offensive to some learners?
- Do I take complaints and concerns of learners seriously, rather than ignoring them?
- Do I show that I value the contributions of each student?
- Do I model the way I want my students to treat each other?