Strategies For Commenting At The End Of Student Papers
- If marginal comments point students to specific issues in their papers, then end comments help students create a big picture of the smaller points of your response to their work.
- Focus your energies here, too. Pick only a few of the key criteria to respond to. Don't try to cover everything.
- Consider the sandwich approach: Start with a strong point, identify places to improve, close with praise.
- Comment on this paper, but look forward to what students can improve in their next assignment.
- Avoid "terminal" end comments that primarily provide a justification for a grade. Offer students one or two formative suggestions for improving their writing.