Workshop Sheet for Summary for Portfolio 1
Editor’s Name and Phone #
Read through the paper completely before answering any of the following questions.
- Has the writer noted the author and title of the essay being summarized? Yes/No
- Has the writer included a clear restatement of the author’s main point? Yes/No
- What other points that you don’t see here should the writer include for a thorough summary of the article?
- What, if any, key examples or details should the writer add to the summary?
- Does the summary follow the organization of the original essay? Would a different arrangement be easier for a reader to understand? Suggest revisions.
- Has the writer maintained objectivity throughout the summary? If you see places where the writer’s opinions or reactions are creeping in, please bracket those for the writer to attend to.
- Suggest revisions to reduce bias created by word choices.
- Where might the writer use additional author tags to help the reader?
- Mark any places in the draft where you have trouble reading and note whether a transition, clearer wording, or additional detail would help most.
- Where can you suggest other specific improvements in the summary? (Please refer to the criteria on the earlier handout for other possible points to revise.)
- What concerns does the writer still have about revising this summary? What can you suggest to help the writer?
- What’s the most effective part of this summary?