Workshop Sheet for Toulmin Analysis for Portfolio 1
Editor’s Name and Phone #
Read through the paper completely before answering any of the following questions.
- Evaluate the claim. Does it accurately represent the main point of the article?
- Suggest revisions to the claim to reduce bias created by word choices.
- What revisions should the writer make to the qualifier and exceptions for completeness and clarity?
- Has the writer identified the main reasons cited in the essay? How would you improve the clarity of the reasons?
- How could the writer improve the analysis of reasons? relevant and good (remember--sufficient, accurate, credible)?
- What key evidence did the writer include? What key evidence did the writer omit?
- Has the writer correctly identified objections the author notes as well as the author’s rebuttal? How might the writer improve this section of the analysis?
- What concerns does the writer still have about revising this analysis? What can you suggest to help the writer?
- What’s the most effective part of this analysis?