Phase 1 Objectives
By the end of Phase 1, students should be
- Aware of the current findings of climate science regarding climate change;
- In the process of responding to our shared question-at-issue: What should we do about climate change?
- Able to write a summary that accurately represents an article's argument;
- Developing an understanding of rhetorical situation: purpose, audience, context;
- Able to identify (some) strategies a writer uses to address purpose, audience, and subject, such as
- focus (intros, claims),
- development (evidence, examples, explanations),
- organization (narrative, argument), and
- coherence (transitions and other cues)
- Able to evaluate the effectiveness of an article in supporting inquiry, i.e. responding to a question-at-issue, using shared criteria, etc.;
- Posing questions for further inquiry into climate change;
- Engaging in dialogue based on critical reading of texts.