Phase 1 Objectives
By the end of Phase 1, students should be
- In the process of responding to a shared question-at-issue
- Able to write a summary that accurately represents an article's argument
- Developing an understanding of rhetorical situation: purpose, audience, context
- Able to identify (some) strategies a writer uses to address purpose, audience, subject such as focus (intros, claims), development (evidence, examples, explanations), organization (narrative, argument), and coherence (transitions and other cues).
- Able to evaluate the effectiveness of an article in supporting inquiry, i.e. responding to a question-at-issue, using shared criteria
- Posing questions for further inquiry into our question and for related inquiry