Thursday, October 19th
Day 18 - Thursday, October 19th
To review criteria for workshop procedures and to provide an opportunity for students to give and receive comments on their essays. Also, to draw up a revision plan for P2B.
Connection to Course Goals
As explained in the previous workshops, these sessions encourage students to see their writing as a process by promoting critical thinking and revision. Also, gaining feedback from peers helps remind students to keep their audience in mind while writing. Drawing up a revision plan will help ensure that students actually think about and integrate the feedback they receive.
Conduct Workshop (60 minutes)
- First, review the questions for workshop. You may develop your own workshop questions, or use the ones available on the summer section Writing Studio page. Put these on an overhead or distribute them as a handout. Make sure that students understand the questions before proceeding.
- Put students into groups of three. You may do this at random in class, or you might prepare groups earlier on so that you have some control over who works with whom. Be prepared though for logistical problems if some students miss class or come to class without a draft. Decide ahead of time how you would like to deal with these situations.
- Tell students that they should workshop two papers in the remaining time. They should spend about 20 minutes on each paper.
- Ask students not to talk during the workshop. Tell them you will allow some time for discussion at the end of class.
- Toward the end of workshop, allow 5 minutes for discussion. Students can use this time to chat with each other about their comments.
Draw Up a Revision Plan (5 - 10 minutes)
After students have had a few minutes to read their feedback, ask them to draw up an informal revision plan. Based on the comments they received, what do they most need to work on before P2B is due?
Review P2B Materials (2 minutes)
On an overhead or on the board, review the materials that you will collect for the portfolio. You should also list materials on the Writing Studio for later reference, and for students who've missed class.
Conclude Class (2 minutes)
Develop a conclusion for today's class. You might:
- Remind students of resources like the Writing Center.
- Forecast what you'll be working on in P3.
- Revise your P2B paper.
- Organize your portfolio and prepare to submit it.
- Print off the P3 assignment sheet and bring it to class.